Browsing as Anonymous (not verified)
No items found

Pages

The collection includes correspondence (1860-1926), diaries and journals (1856-1925), business papers, speeches and articles, pictures, and memorabilia relating to the personal and profession life of Elizabeth Powell Bond, first Dean of Swarthmore College. Having associated with Massachusetts literary and abolitionist circles, Dean Bond was familiar with such prominent personalities as William Lloyd Garrison, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Susan B. Alcott, and Bronson Alcott. 

1 item

Elizabeth P. Bond Papers

This collection includes the papers of Emily Howland (1827-1929), a Quaker educator and humanitarian who is particularly remembered for her work with formerly-enslaved African Americans in the South during and after the Civil War. The collection also contains family papers, surnames Howland and Tallcot.

999 items

Emily Howland Family Papers

The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975. This collection contains the records of the Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing, including correspondence, minutes, reports, membership lists, financial and legal documents.

36 items

Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing Records

The Women's Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Freedmen was founded in 1862 to provide charitable assistance to recently freed slaves. Many Quakers were involved in this organization, but it was not until the following year that a similar group that was officially affiliated with the Society of Friends emerged. The Friends Association of Philadelphia and its Vicinity for the Relief of Colored Freedmen, was founded by Orthodox Quaker men in 1863. Soon after, in 1864, an equivalent group was established by Hicksite Quakers of both sexes: the Friends' Association for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen (amended to the more precise "Friends' Association of Philadelphia for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen" in 1865). It is unclear when this association closed, but it was in existence at least as late as 1872. Its Orthodox counterpart, renamed Friends' Freedmen's Association circa 1873, continued to operate in various capacities--most recently as a scholarship fund--until it was dissolved in 1982.

2 items

Friends Freedmen's Association Records

Thousands of images of Friends’ meeting houses have been brought together digitally in this online collection. Photographs from both the Quaker Collection of Haverford College and Friends Historical Library at Swarthmore College are available here. The majority of these images come from within Philadelphia and New York Yearly Meetings, but also include pictures from across the United States and abroad.

1513 items

Friends Historical Library collection of meetinghouse photographs

Pages

Other Participating Institutions